Course of Instruction
A Transitional Kindergarten (TK) in a private school uses a unique, specialized curriculum based on kindergarten standards and is designed to support students who are 4 years old by September 1st. TK emphasizes both social-emotional development and academic readiness and foundations. TK is part of the Kindergarten program and is taught by teachers with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, Early Childhood units, and are in the process of earning a Teaching Credential.
Why MHT School will add a TK program:
- Unity with the rest of the school: A TK program will not be separated from the rest of the school in any way. TK students may attend morning assembly, have a "buddy class" relationship with students who can be role models for them, both of which are not possible under current licensing requirements. Furthermore, TK students do not need special permissions or face limitations in attending Mass or using any other facilities on our campus.
- Focus on academics: TK has a specific curriculum in the State of California that is designed to introduce students to all major Common Core standards for Kindergarten since TK is viewed as the first year of a two-year Kindergarten program.
- Social-emotional focus: TK students will have the same social/emotional and developmental focus as a four year old student would have in a Preschool setting.
- Continued great teaching: As a regular classroom teacher, the TK instructor is required to either be credentialed or be in process to be credentialed within five years of the date of hire. Being on the same schedule as K-8 teachers will allow the TK teacher to participate in all collaboration and professional development opportunities provided by both MHT School and the Diocese of San Jose.
- Dismissal options: All core instruction will take place from 8:05 AM to noon. During the course of the school year, families may opt for a noon pick-up if that suits your schedule better. However, tuition will remain the same, $8,260 per student, should you wish to pick-up at noon instead of the scheduled 3:00 p.m. dismissal time.
Please note, once again, that the age requirement range for TK students is 4 years of age by September 1, 2020 and 5 years of age by September 1, 2021. Therefore, if you have a child who is currently in our preschool program, they will likely meet the age qualification for TK as well.
The basic program in Preschool focuses on reading readiness, number concepts, religion, hands-on science, social development, community building, dramatic play, gross and fine motor development, letter recognition, self regulation and open ended art exploration.
The underlying instructional strategy in Preschool is the use of organized and free-play activities that are intended to provide opportunities for the child to interact, explore and relate successfully in his/her environment.
With uncertainty surrounding regulations from Community Care Licensing for preschools for the 2020-21 school year on student/teacher ratios and student health in the face of COVID-19, we will delay the opening of MHT Preschool until further notice.